The Career-based Learning Coordinator is responsible for establishing and cultivating partnerships, mentoring, supporting students, and building and managing strong and sustainable programs. This position will coordinate all internship and work experiences offered through PHASTAR by working closely with local businesses, as well as local colleges and universities, Davis Aerospace and Maritime High School, and additional high schools in Northeast Ohio, to provide comprehensive programs that afford high school students the opportunity to participate in meaningful professional experiences. The Career-based Learning Coordinator reports to the Director of Programming.
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of student work and career-based learning experiences, such as speakers, site visits, shadowing, apprenticeships and internships.
- Serve as the Davis Aerospace & Maritime High School (Davis A&M) point of contact for the PACE program and its implementation at Davis A&M.
- Serve as the PHASTAR point of contact to Youth Opportunities Unlimited.
- Coordinate activities necessary to establish, implement, and maintain internships and employment through PHASTAR and with our northeast Ohio partners for Davis A&M students and alumni.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with the teachers, counselors, and administrators of Davis A&M.
- Support the unification of classroom learning, after-school learning, and career-based experiences.
- At times may be the primary contact of record for key, strategic employers and will interface with employers as deemed strategically necessary.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of employer partnership efforts and provide feedback as to the effectiveness of such efforts.
- Coordinate efforts to ensure that employer partners are recognized for their contributions to our organization.
- Support recruitment efforts with local, regional, and national employers to develop strong employer and industry relationships to meet their workforce needs.
- Lead the collection of employer satisfaction feedback surveys, focus groups, and one-on-one meetings to make improvements to the learning experiences.
- Actively engage with various local, state, regional, and national organizations to stay informed on national, state, and local hiring practices, employment trends, and other labor related issues and to increase employment opportunities for teens and young adults.
- Provide on-going data and reporting information as it pertains to our employer partners, career-based learning experiences, and the placement of our participants.
- Develop and revise career-based learning policies and procedures handbook as necessary.
- Support the director of programming and development coordinator with funding proposals, and all appropriate materials.
- Support Davis A&M student post-secondary transitions and alumni career pathways.
- Responsible for associated administrative activities such as transportation arrangements, events / meetings coordination, website updates, orientation, and informational meetings, develop appropriate materials and policies, maintain documentation and data, and budget information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to conduct outreach, group facilitation, and presentations.
- Strong self-initiative and self-management, plus ability to work both in a team setting and solo.
- Ability to coordinate, organize/maintain records, and be proactive with all position duties.
- Excellent critical thinking, interpersonal and dispute resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize tasks, and high attention to detail.
- Occasional weekend, holiday, and evening hours may be required.
- Experience working with educators and students in school-based and out-of-school environments.
- Strong computer skills including productivity applications including Microsoft Office and Google Apps.
- CPR and First Aid, AED, water safety certification, or willingness to obtain upon hiring.
- Master’s Degree in Education, Business Administration, Communication, Human Resources, Management, Marketing, Organizational Leadership, Public Relations or other related field.
- Experience working with 9-12 grade students, teachers, and administrators.
- Familiarity with aerospace, maritime, engineering, and/or manufacturing industries.
- Experience linking traditional academic programs with college and career pathways, i.e. work & career-based learning.
- Experience in developing a program curriculum, including syllabi and lesson plans.
- Non-profit experience a plus.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, and creative “think outside the box” solution-based mindset.